Mar 17, 2008

Deconstructing Preconstructed: Theme Decks in Magic: the Gathering














Of the many arguments that my group gets into when we play or talk about Magic: the Gathering, one of the most persistent is regarding the role of the preconstructed decks that Wizards sells with each set. Some of us really think that they are great decks, well balanced and planned. Some of us feel that they are a great place for beginner decks, and therefore beginner deckbuilders. Some of us feel that they are a marketing ploy by Wizards; throw together some stuff, and trick players into paying a premium for mediocre cards. So who's right? Well, all of us.

First, what is a theme deck? Well, whenever Wizards of the Coast releases a new core or expansion set, they release a number (usually 4 or 5) of decks using the cards from that set. If it's a core set, then it is a 40 card deck; otherwise, the card count is 60. With almost no exceptions, the decks all have a similar structure, having almost exactly the same numbers of Rares, Uncommons, Commons, and basic lands. Having each deck built uniformly allows Wizards to attempt to keep each deck roughly equal, both in price and in power. While the former is a constant, the latter is certainly not. The power of the theme decks vary, sometimes wildly so. While the elf deck from Lorwyn can inspire a certain fear and respect in my local gaming group, the two decks that I purchased from Fifth Dawn most certainly do not. The same holds true for the core set decks. When I first tried out Magic Online, I extensively played the the free trial, which allows you to play the core set decks in a pair of special rooms. I didn't count the number of duels that I played, but I am certain that it was well over 100. In that time, it became clear to me that not all of the decks were created equally. While any deck can win or lose if it gets a particularly good or bad draw, certain decks were clearly a cut above. The black, red, and green decks almost seem to play paper, rock, scissors with red beating green, black beating red, and green beating black fairly regularly. White seems to be about average, winning and losing to red, green, and black. Blue, however, is the red-headed stepchild of the bunch. Although I tried numerous times, I was never able to win as blue. I did however lose one duel to blue, but in that game, I didn't draw a third land until turn 9, allowing me to only play one spell in that time. In spite of that incredible obstacle, I was able to reduce my opponent to 1 life the turn before I died, and I think that if I'd made a different decision or two, I might have actually won that game.

So why are the decks so unequal? Well, I personally believe that the power is not the point. Theme decks are about introducing people to something new. Core decks are for people newer to Magic. The core decks introduce people to the basic cards and concepts in the game, showing new players what each color has to offer them. The red deck offers speed and direct damage, black has discarding, regeneration, and creature kill, while green has rapid mana growth and huge, dangerous creatures. White boasts its ability to survive threats, but blue? Blue has few creatures, a few counterspells, and unfortunately, way, way too much card drawing.

Expansion decks, however, are about introducing players to a new set and what it has to offer. New art, new flavor, and most important of all, new mechanics and features are what determines a theme deck, not the overall power. If you don't believe me, take a good look at the decks in a few expansion sets. Lorwyn had a tribal theme, so the 5 decks are built around the 5 main tribes: Goblins, Elves, Giants, Elementals, and Kithkin. Future Sight boasts decks built around the Suspend, Scry, and Rebel mechanics, while blockmate Planar Chaos features Morph, Vanishing, rescue, and Madness decks.

So, are they great decks, great marketing, or great tools? The short answer is yes. In my group, several of us just think of it as a marketing ploy. But one of us wins her fair share of games using preconstructed decks, and another had a modified Guildpact deck that had an obscene winning streak. In the end, I suppose that preconstructed decks fill whatever role you want them to.

No comments: